How To Know It’s Time To Replace Your AC Unit
Air conditioning systems tend to be relatively reliable, and with proper care and maintenance, they can often last well over 10 years. As a system ages, however, it will lose both cooling performance and efficiency, especially compared to the latest models, and it will eventually become more cost-effective to replace the system, rather than paying its ever-increasing repair and operational costs. You should consider A/C replacement when any of the following are true:
- The system is over 10 or 15 years old: Once an A/C unit is over 10 years old, it is nearing the end of its expected lifespan and major problems will be far more likely to occur. By upgrading to a new system, you can enjoy improved comfort, reduced energy costs, and the many improvements in technology and design that have occurred over the last decade.
- Energy costs have increased: Gradual increases in your energy usage are to be expected as the system loses efficiency, and you can often save significantly on your long-term energy costs with an A/C replacement.
- Your system is less than 13 SEER: Modern systems have SEER ratings of 13 to over 20, and with the proper A/C replacement, you can reduce your cooling costs dramatically.
- Your A/C requires frequent repairs: If your air conditioner requires service or has a major problem like a damaged compressor, it is often more cost-effective to replace the system than to continue repairs.
- Your system uses an outdated refrigerant: If your system uses R-22 or an earlier refrigerant, it may be more cost-effective to install a new system with R410A than to retrofit an existing system.
- Your home is no longer comfortable: As the performance of your A/C unit degrades, it may no longer be able to keep up with the heat and humidity in Southwest Florida. A new system can offer better cooling and dehumidification, as well as improved reliability.
If you are considering A/C replacement, talk to our team at Conditioned Air today. We can help you find the right system for your needs and your budget, and we serve homeowners throughout Southwest Florida.