Florida Snowbird Checklist
Are you wondering what to do before you head back north for the summer? Here’s a checklist of what to do before you go.
- Close your blinds
- Bring in your lanai furniture or any other things that could blow away in a storm
- Clean your kitchen thoroughly: You don’t want to attract bugs.
- Empty all trash cans in your home or you will come back to smells you may not like
- Do a Marie Kondo type purge of things you may not need. Goodwill is a great place to drop off things you may no longer use.
- Shut off your water
- Cover toilets, sinks and drains with plastic cling wrap
- Check all appliances to verify they are off so you conserve power over the long summer
- Move furniture away from your homes walls to help prevent mildew
- Open interior doors so air flow can happen
- Lock all entrances especially your garage door from the inside.
- Engage thermostats and humidity controls, try a Nest thermostat so you can operate your home’s temp from wherever you are this summer
- Turn on your alarm before you leave
- Let your condo or association you will be gone and when you will return.
- Contact the USPS and hold or forward your mail.
- If you are leaving a car in the garage, make sure you take the battery cables off to prevent the car from draining the battery over the summer.
- Drive safe!